Monday, May 2, 2011

Who's sorry now?

This year for Easter we thought we try something new. Instead of filling Easter baskets with enough candy to induce a diabetic coma, we opted for non-edible gifts. Among the items were sugarless gum, iTunes cards, toothbrushes and two new board games. Board games have become Sir William's tradition with the kids. They have been known to set up the Monopoly board on a Friday night and will continue their game all weekend long. I love that it's time they can spend together without iTunes, iPods, iPhones and all the other distractions that start with a lowercase i. I especially love that the tradition makes it possible for me to have a few rare hours of uninterrupted bliss where iRead, iShop, and iNap. For you see, not all lowercase i words are of the Devil.

Yesterday I was invited to play one of their new games. They seem to have so much fun together, I decided to give it a whirl. It was my first time ever to play the game Sorry. Now I'm sorry we ever purchased it. My inner Dr. Phil has concluded those Parker Brothers had some serious family issues as the entire premise of the game is to be vindictive and obnoxious to your opponents. Since we have plenty of that around here without the aid of a colorful cardboard square and some plastic pawns, I had a hard time enjoying it. When I'd finally heard enough Sweet Revenge!-ing and Vengance is Mine!-ing I expressed my dissatisfaction.

Me: I can't believe we bought a game that promotes bullying!

Sir William: What? We didn't buy a game that promotes bullying. We bought a game that encourages apologizing.

Oh, he's a spin doctor, that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment