Monday, January 12, 2009

Just Pining Away

AHHHH! It’s that time of year. Can you smell the crisp woodsy scent of freshly cut pine? No, I’m not talking about the Christmas tree still standing in all its’ decorated splendor in our living room. We are completely aware it’s been two and a half weeks since Christmas, but we have PrIoRiTiEs! No time to take down the holiday décor when the Pinewood Derby is just 12 days away. Oh, and this isn’t just ANY race. This is the LAST Derby of The Squire’s cub scouting career. In every race, he’s always come in 1st place and he’s hoping to maintain his undefeated title this year. Chances are good The Squire will accomplish his goal as he is studying under the Yoda of Pinewood Derby. That’s right, as one of the most legendary and skilled Derby Masters in galactic history, Sir William has trained the young Squire in the ways of Derby champions. These two are terribly serious about the contest. So much, that last year I was actually accused of aiding the competition. Yes, I had the audacity to allow a neighbor to weigh their car on our scale! Who would've thought owning a scale that weighs in grams was classified information? Since then, I have been sworn to secrecy. No tricks of the trade may be shared at any cost. Though I might consider leaking something to the first person that offers to take down our Christmas decorations. Anyone?

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck Squire!!!! I can totally see Sir William keeping the details classified, so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your funny... Although we will need to know the tricks to the trade in a year or so :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allright...I'll take 'em down if you can make us TWO cars. Yes, this year both boys will be competeting against each other..and one...no need to name names, MUST win at all costs. Or hey...if the student has now become the master, maybe we could throw some DS games his way in exchange for a little hlep?

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! This reminds me of the movie "Down and Derby" (one of those made for Mormons corny flicks). Have you seen it? We were given a free copy at one of the many scouting events my hubby is always at. If you haven't seen it, come borrow ours. You'd probably get a kick out of it since you are living it :).

    ReplyDelete